Latest released report on the global surimi market by Fact.MR estimates that sales accounted for US$ 3.2 Bn in 2021, with the market projected to expand more than 1.8X by 2031. The global surimi market witnessed a favourable demand-supply scenario from 2016 to 2020 due to stable global production and rising demand. Demand for surimi is expected to continue to rise from the food service and food manufacturing sector, and also among consumers who prefer to cook at home.
Surimi is manufactured from freshly ground-fish, usually Alaskan Pollock. However, as global fishery resources are declining, there is increasing emphasis on utilizing low-value by-catch fishery species in the production of surimi. Future developments in the imitation crab meat industry are likely to be found in a few key areas. One important area of research has focused on the development of surimi from different kinds of fish. Also, environmental concerns will lead to new technologies that will minimize the amount of waste involved in manufacturing.
The MFRD (Marine Fisheries Research Department) is promoting quality of surimi for domestic consumption as well as export through continuous research and development in the field. The MFRD is supported by funding from the Japanese Trust Fund (JTF).
Key Takeaways from Market Study
- The U.S. is estimated to account for more than 91% of the North American market in 2021, supported by increased production of Alaska Pollock-sourced surimi.
- According to Fact.MR analysis, China is estimated to account for more than 59% of the East Asian market share in 2021, driven by increased demand from the foodservice industry.
- Spain is one of the prominent countries in the European market with a share of 18.4% in 2021, on the back of increased imports of surimi base.
- Fish surimi is estimated to account for 86.9% market share in 2021, on the back of its nutritional properties and high-quality protein content.
- Fresh surimi reflects approximately 57.8% of the market in 2021, but processed surimi is expected to witness a lucrative growth rate at 7.8% CAGR through 2031.
“Key players operating in the global market are investing in research & development facilities for new product developments. Manufacturers are focusing on sustainable farming of surimi,” says a lead analyst at Fact.MR.
Innovative Manufacturing Technologies to Improve Production of Surimi
Manufacturing technologies are being improved in order to reduce the cost of surimi production. As a result, overall price of products is reducing. Since the commercialization of surimi technology in 1959, when the cryostabilisation technique was discovered, surimi processing has seen a number of breakthroughs. Major innovations in surimi processing include maximization of recovery using pH-modified protein and decanter centrifugation solubilization for all fish species.
Protease inhibitors and TGase for gel enhancement, modified starch for freeze-thaw resilience, improved pasteurization and packing for extended shelf-life, and nonconventional heat-setting techniques are all new innovations in surimi processing.
Market research and consulting agency with a difference! That’s why 80% of Fortune 1,000 companies trust us for making their most critical decisions. While our experienced consultants employ the latest technologies to extract hard-to-find insights, we believe our USP is the trust clients have on our expertise. Spanning a wide range – from automotive & industry 4.0 to healthcare & retail, our coverage is expansive, but we ensure even the most niche categories are analyzed. Our sales offices in United States and Dublin, Ireland. Headquarter based in Dubai, UAE. Reach out to us with your goals, and we’ll be an able research partner.
US Sales Office:
11140 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
Tel: +1 (628) 251-1583